Table of Contents Hide
Going on vacation is an exciting experience, but it can also be stressful if you’re not sure if you’ve taken care of everything at home. To ensure that your home is safe and secure while you’re away, it’s important to have a pre-vacation home checklist. This checklist will help you ensure that you’ve taken care of all the necessary tasks before you leave, so you can relax and enjoy your vacation without worrying about what you may have forgotten.Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
This article will provide you with the ultimate pre-vacation home checklist that covers everything from safety and security, to maintenance and repairs, to cleaning and decluttering, and planning for emergencies. With this checklist, you’ll be able to feel confident that your home is taken care of while you’re away, so you can enjoy your vacation to the fullest.
Safety and Security
Safety and security are crucial when it comes to leaving your home for an extended period of time. Here are some important tasks to include in your checklist before leaving on vacation:
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors: Check to make sure that all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are in working order and have fresh batteries. If you’re going away for an extended period of time, it’s a good idea to unplug them to avoid false alarms.
- Unplug Small Appliances: Unplug small appliances such as toasters, coffee makers, and televisions to prevent fires.
- Set Timers for Lights: Set timers for lights to turn on and off at different times of the day to give the appearance that someone is home.
- Secure Windows and Doors: Make sure all windows and doors are locked and secure. If you have a security system, set it before you leave.
- Mail and Newspaper Delivery: Cancel or suspend mail and newspaper delivery so that it doesn’t pile up, signaling that you’re away.
- Check-in: Arrange for someone to check in on your home while you’re away to make sure everything is okay. It’s a good idea to give them a key or a code to your security system in case of an emergency.
By taking these steps, you can ensure that your home is safe and secure while you’re away. This will give you peace of mind and allow you to relax and enjoy your vacation.
Maintenance and Repairs
Maintenance and repairs are essential tasks to take care of before leaving for vacation. Here are some items to include on your pre-vacation home checklist:
- HVAC: Make sure your HVAC system is in good working order and schedule any necessary maintenance before you leave.
- Plumbing: Drain and winterize any outdoor plumbing to prevent damage during cold weather.
- Appliances: Check all appliances, such as the refrigerator, oven, and dishwasher, to ensure they are in good working order and schedule any necessary repairs before you leave.
- Leaks and Drips: Check for any leaks or drips and make sure to fix them before you leave to prevent water damage.
- Cleaning gutters: Clean your gutters before you leave so that water can flow properly and prevent damage to your roof or walls.
- Trimming trees and bushes: Trim any trees or bushes that are close to your house, to prevent damage to your home or injury to anyone who enters while you’re away.
By taking care of these tasks, you can ensure that your home is well-maintained and any potential issues are addressed before they become bigger problems. By doing so, you will have peace of mind that your home is in good shape and not in danger of any damage or repairs while you’re away enjoying your vacation.
Cleaning and Decluttering
Cleaning and decluttering are important tasks to take care of before leaving for vacation. Here are some items to include on your pre-vacation home checklist:
- Cleaning: Clean your entire home before you leave, including bathrooms, kitchen, and common areas. This will ensure that your home is in good condition when you return and will also make it more inviting for anyone who enters while you’re away.
- Decluttering: Go through your belongings and declutter any items that you no longer need or use. This will not only create a more organized living space but also will help you to identify any valuables that need to be put away for safekeeping.
- Plants: Take care of your plants by watering them and ensuring they have enough sunlight. If you’re going away for an extended period, you may want to consider having someone water them for you.
- Valuables: Put away any valuable items such as jewelry, money, or important documents in a safe place.
By taking these steps, you can ensure that your home is clean, organized, and free of clutter when you return. It also makes it more inviting for anyone who enters while you’re away, and also makes it easy to identify any valuables that need to be put away for safekeeping.
Planning for Emergencies
Preparing for emergencies is an important aspect of any pre-vacation home checklist. Here are some items to include in your emergency plan:
- Important documents: Make sure important documents such as your passport, insurance policies, and identification papers are easily accessible and in a safe place.
- Emergency contact information: Have emergency contact information readily available, including the contact information of a trusted friend or family member who can be reached in case of an emergency.
- Emergency supplies: Keep emergency supplies such as a first aid kit, flashlights, and extra batteries on hand in case of power outages or other emergencies.
- Insurance: Review your insurance policies and ensure that you have adequate coverage for any potential emergencies.
- Emergency plan: Create an emergency plan for your home and make sure that everyone in your household knows what to do in case of an emergency.
By taking these steps, you can ensure that you’re prepared for any potential emergencies while you’re away on vacation. This will give you peace of mind and allow you to enjoy your vacation without worrying about what might happen at home.
“An upcoming vacation gives us something to eagerly anticipate.”– Jaime Kurtz
In conclusion, list of things to do when leaving house for 3 months a pre-vacation home checklist is essential for ensuring that your home is safe, secure, and well-maintained while you’re away. The checklist should include tasks related to safety and security, maintenance and repairs, cleaning and decluttering, and planning for emergencies. By taking care of these tasks before you leave, you can ensure that your home is in good condition when you return and that any potential issues are addressed before they become bigger problems.
Additionally, having a checklist for leaving house vacant will give you peace of mind and allow you to enjoy your vacation without worrying about what you may have forgotten. Remember to go over the list before you leave, and to seek professional help or support groups if you need assistance. This way you can have a stress-free and enjoyable vacation.